Paging HP DNS admin

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 4 02:42:15 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Mark Radabaugh <mark at amplex.net> wrote:
> Either way - it breaks Sendmail, some versions of Exchange, and possibly
> other MTA's.   The proper answer to a non-existent AAAA record is NOERROR,
> with ANSWER 0.

if I ask ns1/2/3/4/5/6.hp.com directly for AAAA for onramp01.hpeprint.com.:

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> AAAA onramp01.hpeprint.com. @ns6.hp.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 6, ADDITIONAL: 6
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;onramp01.hpeprint.com.         IN      AAAA

(I get the same result for all ns hosts)

if I ask my local bind (ubuntu package == 1:9.8.1.dfsg.P) though I get:
$ dig AAAA onramp01.hpeprint.com @localhost

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> AAAA onramp01.hpeprint.com @localhost
;; global options: +cmd

That's a bit weird and frustrating.

> Hanging or refusing to answer doesn't result in another attempt to look for
> an A record since the name server failed to respond to a valid query.
> Given that the whole point of the domain is to enable email printing, HP
> isn't making it easy.

scott's request LOOKS like  a request to 'some resolver' (not directly
to them, perhaps his local bind instance?  I wonder why 8.8.8.8
returns srvfail? I think one of the google-public-dns people reads
nanog, perhaps he knows? (or could fix this which seems to be a bug,
to me at least)

-chris