why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Sun Mar 30 20:40:07 UTC 2014

Subject: Re: why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition Date: Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 11:06:11AM -0400 Quoting Patrick W. Gilmore (patrick at ianai.net):
> Composed on a virtual keyboard, please forgive typos.
>
> > On Mar 29, 2014, at 3:15, Måns Nilsson <mansaxel at besserwisser.org> wrote:
> > Quoting John R. Levine (johnl at iecc.com):
> >>
> >> I know a lot of people who run a lot of mail systems, and let's just
> >> say you're so far out in the long tail we need a telescope to see
> >> you.
> >
> > I will not debate with people who resort to humiliation techniques
> > when questioned.
>
> I will not argue whether you were humiliated as that is something only you can decide.

The puny attempt at "master suppression technique"[0]  was identified
as such and countermeasures were launched. No damage done.

> However, John was still factually correct. No big deal, lots of people are humiliated by facts. Although I admit I didn't find the quote above terribly humiliating myself.

You have a point. Further, I do not debate the truth in the statement. My
personal email system IS small -- I did even state that -- but that does
not mean I do not run larger systems for others, nor does it mean that
the general public should dismiss my ideas and only listen to people
who brag about their acquaintances.  There are other much more compelling
reasons not to do as I say.

> Also, realize that John has already done more to stop spam in his career then you and your thousand closest friends ever will. (E.g. Look up abuse.net.) Again not humiliation, just a fact.
>
> Feel free to plonk me as well. I won't be humiliated. :-)

I won't. There is a clear divide between politely pointing out facts
and abusing facts to tell people that their opinion does not matter.

And, for the record, I do not support spamming in any form. But the
mitigation techniques MUST NOT impose undue constraints on the legitimate
use of e-mail, even when it is not vetted by passing it through big
insecure monitored US webmail providers.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_suppression_techniques