why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sun Mar 30 17:03:07 UTC 2014

On March 30, 2014 at 04:47 johnl at iecc.com (John Levine) wrote:
 > >When people talked of "virtual currency" over the years, often arguing
 > >that it's too hard a problem, how many described bitcoin with its
 > >cryptographic mining etc?
 >
 > None, but it shouldn't be hard to look at the way bitcoin works and
 > realize why it'd be phenomenally ill suited for e-postage, just for
 > technical reasons.  I told Satoshi so in 2009.

I wasn't suggesting bitcoin was a model for e-postage, only that a lot
of papers were written saying systems like bitcoin were more or less
impossible (usually based on the double-spending problem.) But bitcoin
seems to have gained quite a bit of traction nonetheless though it may
well still be a bad idea.

The problem is the world is a very sloppy place and tends to function
in spite of proofs that "bumblebees can't fly" etc. when there's a
need.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada