why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Sat Mar 29 23:58:31 UTC 2014

On 3/29/2014 12:59 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> *Postage schemes as proposed with end users email clients 'attaching
> postage' simply not workable  Not in IPv4.  Not in IPv6.   Not in IPng
>   Not in any conceivable future version of IP.

And I insist that we are all wasting our time trying to make SMTP and
its supporting protocols (and their kin under IPX/SPC, Sperrylink, UUCP,
et alia) are not at the transport layer and nothing at the transport
layer is responsible for nor rich with solutions for their problems.

IF the overriding problem is due to an inability to identify and
authenticate the identification of  the sender, then let us work on
establishing a protocol for identifying the sender and authenticating
the identification  of the sender and permitting the receiver to accept
or deny acceptance of traffic by reference to that identification.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: