ARIN board accountability to network operators (was: RE: [arin-ppml] [arin-discuss] Term Limit Proposal)

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Fri Mar 28 17:02:53 UTC 2014

On 3/27/14 6:42 PM, "Randy Bush" <randy at psg.com> wrote:

>nanog is a separable game.  it is currently very confused between form
>and substance, making committees for everything.  like the bcop thing.
>two organizations, nanog and isoc, forming organizational structures to
>create a document store.  the ops' doc store is ripe's because the ripe
>wgs produced work and someone realized they needed a place to stash it.

I like this example, but not sure how it could apply here.  Need a NANOG
document series?  It wouldn't be an ARIN document series, would it?  Or
did I miss the point of your example?

>i purposefully phrased it a bit differently, how can arin engage, get
>real participation from, and serve its community, the operators.  i was
>stealing examples from ripe.
>
>but, for concrete action, how about a half day session at the next nanog
>meeting on, for example, arin database services, whois and irr.  not to
>try to reach hard conclusions or plans.  but to open a dialog to explore
>what the community gets and wants from these services and how they are
>provided.

I like this example.
I also appreciate the policy hour, where NANOG attendees get a few minutes
on ARIN proposals.

In another message you complimented the RIPE Atlas project. I like the
work from APNIC's labs, too.  I also like LACNIC's development projects,
FRIDA, +RAICES, and education efforts. Would these kinds of efforts be in
scope for ARIN?  Does ARIN need a Chief Scientist (a la Karrenberg or
Huston)? Or is that a NANOG role, since it might include things outside of
management of number resources?

I think North American operators are missing some advantages of the
closely coordinated RIR/NOG operations in other regions, and I would like
to see them closer together here.  Unfortunately, it is not clear to me
that the examples above are in charter for either NANOG or ARIN. I'd be
happy to re-charter either, but that's probably a topic for NANOG-futures.

>or pick another key service.

DNS?  DNSsec?
Security?

>randy