ARIN board accountability to network operators (was: RE: [arin-ppml] [arin-discuss] Term Limit Proposal)

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Fri Mar 28 08:10:50 UTC 2014

> On 27.03.2014, at 22:27, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>
> ...and this is aside from daniel's global measurement empire.  not sure it
> is a registry's job to do this, but it is a serious contribution to the
> internet. ...

there is the  'measurement analysis and tools' working group http://www.ripe.net/ripe/groups/wg/mat guiding this work, and it even has an 'out-of-area' co-chair to emphasize the *globalness* of our empire ;-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

seriously: the ripe ncc was not conceived as a "registry" but as an association of operators where they can organise common activities that require neutrality, expertise and common funding. so whether it is a 'registry job' is irrelevant in our context as long as the community agrees it is useful and the membership of the association agrees to fund it with their fees. the huge overlap between community at large and paying membership keeps this consistent.

daniel