why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Mar 28 00:58:54 UTC 2014

>What if Google, Apple, Sony or some other household brand, sold a TV with local mail capabilities, instead of pushing
>everyone to use their hosted services?

It would suck, because real users check their mail from their
desktops, their laptops, and their phones.  Your TV would not have the
sophisticated mail sorting, archiving, and searching of the large mail
systems.  And, of course, when its cheap SSD flaked, you'd lose all
your saved mail.

I swear, this whole conversation feels like I've fallen through a
wormhole into 1998.