Switchport Counters - Take two

Jim Glassford jmglass at iup.edu
Thu Mar 27 17:06:03 UTC 2014

I have no experience with a Nexus 4001i, seems this could be counting up
due to frames of no interest, wrong VLAN, Spanning tree, other.
Not by chance on a IBM BladeCenter?

<http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5093165&brandind=5000020>

The "input discard" counter on any internal interface (Ethernet1/1 -
Ethernet1/14) may increment on Cisco Nexus 4001i switches, even when the
connected blade is started into Unified Extensible Firmware Interface
(UEFI) and not sending Operating System (OS) data.
This has been observed with QLogic Dual-Port 10 GB Converged Network
Adapter (CFFh) for IBM BladeCenter, Option part number 42C1830, but may
occur with other Network Interface Controllers (NICs).

Workaround:
This is a reporting issue. The 'input discards' are not counting actual
packet loss.
Do not replace any hardware or update firmware.