Access Lists for Subscriber facing ports?

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu Mar 27 13:40:11 UTC 2014

On 03/27/2014 05:44 AM, Shawn L wrote:
> With all of the new worms / denial of service / exploits, etc. that are
> coming out, I'm wondering what others are using for access-lists on
> residential subscriber-facing ports.
>
> We've always taken the stance of 'allow unless there is a compelling reason
> not to', but with everything that is coming out lately, I'm not sure that's
> the correct position any more.
As a residential ISP, we have seen quite a lot of this in terms of both
compromised customer computers spewing spam and ddos, as well as
compromised customer routers participating in ddos attacks as well as
dns redirection exploits for phishing and other purposes. I too am an
advocate of staying out of the way as much as possible, but I've come
around to realize that the average customer NEEDS to be protected
against the consequences of their ignorance, MORE than they need the
freedom to run a publicly accessible dns or ntp server.  We now have a
default access list in place which locks down subscriber ports and
prevents them from being a server on commonly exploited services like
dns,ntp,smtp and so forth. The average customer neither knows nor cares,
and suffers absolutely nothing because of it. What tipped it over for me
was a rash of dns changers that exploited unknown to us default
credentials in a number of subscriber modems, causing no end of
customers who secretly depended on a set of DNS resolvers controlled by
attackers that were performing poorly and resulting in 'why is it slow?'
calls to my support staff. These devices should never have internet
facing management, but they do and they did. I should also say that the
acl's are also easily removable for any customer who asks. We don't make
a big production out of it or anything, we just put the flag on their
account and thats that.

Mike-