IPv6 Security [Was: Re: misunderstanding scale]

Timothy Morizot tmorizot at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 23:52:53 UTC 2014

On Mar 26, 2014 6:27 PM, "Luke S. Crawford" <lsc at prgmr.com> wrote:
> My original comment and complaint, though, was in response to the
assertion that DHCPv6 is as robust as DHCPv4.   My point is that DHCPv6
does not fill the role that DHCPv4 fills, if you care about tying an IP to
a MAC and you want that connection to persist across OS installs by
customers.

You're right. DHCPv6 is more robust than DHCPv4. At least those of us in
the enterprise space appreciate a client identifier that doesn't change
when the hardware changes.

And v6 doesn't work the same as v4 so you will expend more effort trying to
force it to fit a v4 model.

Scott