IPv6 isn't SMTP

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Wed Mar 26 13:38:14 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 09:05:52AM -0400, rwebb at ropeguru.com wrote:
> most cases, would that not make things easier? So those that want to
> run email servers SHOULD be on ISP's that allow for rDNS
> configuration for IPv6.

Several years ago now the IETF DNSOP WG worked on a document about
reverse mapping.  The topic was so controversial that the final
version of the document, which said little more than, "There is a
reverse tree, and you might want to take that into consideration.  Or
not.  It's up to you," still couldn't get consensus.  I think anything
that involves making rules about others' reverse maps is probably an
excellent way to attract ducks to nibble you to death.

Andrew Sullivan
Dyn, Inc.
asullivan at dyn.com
v: +1 603 663 0448