why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 03:16:37 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 9:55 PM, John R. Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

>  I would suggest the formation of an "IPv6 SMTP Server operator's club,"
>> with a system for enrolling certain IP address source ranges as  "Active
>
>  Surely you don't think this is a new idea.

Would it make it more unique;  if I suggested creation of a new distributed
Cryptocurrency  something like 'MAILCoin'  to  track the memberships in the
club  and handle voting out of abusive mail servers:  in a distributed
manner,   to ensure that no court could ever  mandate that a certain IP
address be accepted into the club?

Not necessarily.   But  I haven't yet heard of any meaningful attempt to
implement something like that.       Obviously with IPv4;  way too many
"legacy"  mail servers  exist that will never bother to implement new
protocols and practice improvements ----   even basic things,  such as SMTP
rejecting invalid recipients instead of sending unsolicited bounce replies
to senders (forged by spammers).

--
-JH