why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

Rob McEwen rob at invaluement.com
Wed Mar 26 03:08:43 UTC 2014

On 3/25/2014 10:51 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> I would suggest the formation of an "IPv6 SMTP Server operator's club,"

That comes across too much like the failed FUSSP ideas. What happens
when spammers try to get onboard? Who is the arbitrator? How fast could
they react? And then you have legit senders who get infections or
compromised accounts? Or what about a hoster who gets one bad-apple
customer. This isn't so simple! Not so black & white. Yet if we instead
focus on "truthful labeling of identity", then established e-mail
reputation systems and established blacklists which have spent YEARS
fine tuning these things... can be best prepared to sort these things
about based on the reputation of the domain at the end of a sender's
FCrDNS. Then the free market will properly choose the best blacklists
that block the most spam with the least FPs... and the "politics" of
some club won't be a negative factor.

NOTE: antispam blacklists don't effectively work like men with their
feet on a desk smoking cigars asking, 'should we block this sender'...
'should we whitelist this sender'... the spammers are ORDER OF
MAGNITUDES faster than that! And then you'd have too many legit orgs
that happen to be small.. that would be effectively blacklisted by not
being able to get "into the club". i would be a nightmare!

--
Rob McEwen
+1 (478) 475-9032