why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Tue Mar 25 17:43:48 UTC 2014

On 3/25/14, 11:23 AM, John Levine wrote:
> Large mail providers all agree that v6 senders need to follow good
> mail discipline, but are far from agreeing what that means.  It
> certainly means proper rDNS, but does it mean SPF?  DKIM on all the
> mail?  TLS on the connections?  At this point, I don't know and
> neither does anyone else.  Fortunately we have at least another decade
> of full IPv4 mail connectivity to figure it out.

So, what's everyone's feelings about a rather large provider who blocks
IPv6 e-mail that has no RDNS, even though the sending domain has SPF
records allowing the block, and proper DKIM set up?

*looks directly at Google*

Nothing like poorly thought out policy to break a rather successful IPv6
roll-out for multiple customers.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org