misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 11:43:56 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Bob Evans <bob at fiberinternetcenter.com>wrote:

> Thus far, IPv6 has been the "Field of Dreams" .... those of us who have
> built it, we know they have not yet come  (the IPv6 customers).  That's
> all this discussion is really about is "when will they come".
>
> I know the core of the Internet will be IPv4 for many years. All one has
> to do is talk to a few customer to find out that they are in no hurry.
> It's a no-brainer, because , none of us charges a customer more than than
> lunch money for an IPv4 address.

While I will agree that it has taken longer than some of us thought /
expected I don't believe you can say no-one is coming.

My home (Comcast) & my phone (T-Mo) get native IPv6, automatically, no
extra charge - no special request - no special equipment.  Our "4g"
hotspots are all dual-stack. We recently got a new Verizon (landline)
circuit for a job-site - came with a /48 automatically.  The carriers drive
this part of the boat - and some of them are doing so quite nicely
(finally).  Not all, but some of the biggest have done the most work ==
more eyeballs.

The content side is doing better as well; again - not all, but the big ones
are good wins.

The customers, the normal people that is, don't know or care.  We know
that.  On the "enterprise side" there is of course the cost & burden of
dealing with the "legacy" network that still, largely, works as they
expect.  And in the govt it is even worse, despite some "mandates" to the
contrary.  But that too will shift over time - and needn't hold up anyone
else's plans.  And when people who do care have IPv6 at home/on their phone
they will start to push that into said enterprises ... like I am doing :).

/TJ