arin representation

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Mar 25 10:35:53 UTC 2014

[ you're cheating, you're in an asian time zone! ]

> I have nothing against term limits (but I also did not champion them back
> when I was an elected member of the Board of Trustees.)  Many cite risk
> of losing well-qualified and experienced Board members right when they
> are most productive as the counter-argument.

that is always the argument.  the benefits of openness and new blood far
outweigh the 'benefit' of rule by old dogs who appoint committees of
themselves.

> I will note that this discussion is presently on nanog, and I am not
> certain that all of the ARIN Board members subscribe.

an interesting point in itself, as north american operators are the
smallest description of the arin constituency.  a new ietf ops area
director once asked me to monitor the nanog list for them and tell them
if anything passed that was important.  i told them that they should
resign immediately.

> I will forward your message to the Board

thanks

> but would you prefer to take this to one of the ARIN lists

my experience is that ppml, the only one i remember, is far too toxic
for me to last more than a day.

and this is about the whole bleeping internet community.  arin is far
too closed and inward facing, breathing its own smoke.

> or have a us setup a distinct list for this purpose, or something
> else?

how about forming an *outside* arin governance brainstorming committee?
not binding.  but a fresh, outside, wide-ranging, expert view.

as i just said to someone privately,

    scan the entire array of internet administrative/infrastructural
    organizations.  show me one that has a good, responsive,
    representative, open, ... governance structure.

    the ietf is interesting except it's a technocratic meritocracy.  and
    i certainly would not call its governance open.

i would make it clear that things such as policy, personalities, ... are
out of scope.  and i would beg to get some heavy hitters to help, which
is why i keep plugging susan crawford as an example.  there are others.
i'd also suggest one non-board insider such as cja, so that questions
about internals can be answered.

yes, opening up the game is scary.  it darned well should be.  it could
change the status quo.  but that might be good for arin, good for the
community, and good for the internet.

randy