arin representation

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Mar 25 09:04:09 UTC 2014

> I do not agree with the characterization that "... we are ruled by
> self-perptuating monopolies which lack oversight and accountability",

when you have a governance committee which is composed of the governing,
not outsiders and governance experts, with no term limits, it would seem
hard to support that argument.

> - Simple terms and conditions for contracts with registries
> - Membership organizations for registries with term limits
>   for Board and advisory bodies
> - Board diversity (meaning real world users)
> - Competitive registries
> - ...

i pretty much agree that arin should do these.  except ...

iff we could get reasonable governance, i am not sure we need multiple
rirs.  after all, the registries were just supposed to be bookkeepers.
but i agree that competition is a good method of injecting some reality
into the physics in the absense of other means.

but i eagerly await the simplification of arin's ts&cs.  and get rid of
being able to change them unilateraly and arbitrarily, and get rid the
silly game about legacy rights, and a whole bunch of us might join.

randy