misunderstanding scale

hslabbert at stargate.ca hslabbert at stargate.ca
Tue Mar 25 05:53:13 UTC 2014

>I don't want to try to even think about SMTP on IPv6. Reputation of email
>servers as well as the whole thought process of spam control rely on a list of
>IP address.
>
>IPv6 adds an entirely new aspect to it.

Really?  It ain't that hard.  Who in this list is going to set up generic PTRs
for all your v6 space?  Good luck shoving 2^64 addresses in a zone file, so
you're doing it programmatically; quick show up of hands for anybody actually
doing generic v6 PTRs?  So, we're doing PTRs on an as-needed basis, e.g. router
interface primary addresses (for traceroute prettiness), mail servers, etc.

You try sending me email on v6 without a PTR, you're going to have to make a
pretty damned convincing case for why I should accept mail from you.

If you want to do address-based reputations for v6 similar to v4, my guess is
that it will start to aggregate to at least the /64 boundary (i.e. if you have
a spambot in your /64, that block starts to get a bad reputation and any other
hosts in that block are less likely to have their mail accepted).  So, there's
risk of collateral damage, but no more (and probably less) than the v4
equivalent where any hosts sitting NAT'd behind a single IP are blacklisted.
In this v6 equivalent, you could probably even get away with whitelisting a
single, trusted IP in that /64 while the remainder of the /64 has a bad rep.

If you mean that e.g. you have a spambot that's using SLAAC and so can/will
bounce around to different GUAs all over the place and so get around
blacklisting, I would venture aggregating at the /64 level should take care of
that; each additional IP within that block that's found to be spamming adds
another hit to the block's reputation.

IP addresses and sender reputation do form a part of spam identification, but
TBH so far I'm only seeing ways in which GUA helps *improve* the granularity at
which those tools can be applied in order to reduce false positives.  Granted,
I haven't yet considered IP-based RBLs in v6 extensively, so I'm open to
insights on this.

--
Hugo