misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 25 00:54:18 UTC 2014

On Mar 22, 2014, at 10:10 PM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

>>> It will be a long time
>>> before the price of v4 rises high enough to make it
>>> worth the risk of going v6 only.
>>
>> New ISP's are born everyday.
>>
>> Some of them will be able to have a "Buy an ISP that has
>> IPv4" or "Buy IPv4 space from known brokers" line item in
>> their budget as part of their launch plans.
>>
>> Most won't.
>
> In Africa, I suppose, but here in North America, the few remaining
> ISPs that aren't part of giant cable or phone companies are hanging on
> by their teeth.
>
> Also, although it is fashionable to say how awful CGN is, the users
> don't seem to mind it at all.
>
> R's,
> John

That depends on the level of service the users are already accustomed to.

The generally piss-poor average level of service in the US may not be as noticeably impacted by CGN as better services.

It also depends on the class of user. I know that I would pretty much be unable to continue subscribing to any provider that stuck me behind a CGN.

It would be interesting to get visibility into the opt-out rate for Verizon’s “Address Sharing” announcement.

Owen