misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 25 00:07:13 UTC 2014

In order for IPv6 to truly work, everyone needs to be moving towards IPv6.

Maintaining dual protocols for the entire internet is problematic, wasteful, and horribly
inefficient at best. Bottom line, the internet outgrew IPv4 almost 30 years ago and
we’ve been using various hacks like NAT as a sort of IPv4 life-support ever since.

Ask any doctor about the prospects for a patient on life support for years at a time
and they will probably laugh at you. Patients rarely survive more than a few days
on life support, let alone weeks, months, or even years.

Yes, we’ve done really well with internet life support. So well that many have been
lulled into a false sense of safety believing that these extreme measures can be
continued indefinitely and scaled well beyond their breaking points.

There is little visibility into the escalating cost and complexity of these measures
and even less awareness of the relative ease of deploying IPv6 compared to most
of these mechanisms.

Owen