misunderstanding scale

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Mon Mar 24 17:44:31 UTC 2014

I don't buy that one at all.  Grandma does not care or know about ipv4 or ipv6.  When the ipv4 CPE gets installed it blocks inbound connections by default, why would ipv6 be any different?  Windows firewall if she is relying on that should not have any problems with v6 than it does with v4.  I am also pretty sure that grandma does not care that NAT is present or not.  In fact, grandma's cell phone might already using v6.

If the equipment does not work right out of the box, that is the equipment supplier or service provider problem.  Do you really believe that most people deploying home gateways understand ipv4, NAT, or stateful firewalls?  No, they plug it in and the defaults should work for them.  It might require an engineering degree (or reading) to understand how IPv6 works however grandma does not need to know how IPv6 works or even how a network works.  She plugs in the CPE, plugs in her PC and off you go.  The smart people on this list are to ones that need to know how is works.  If we can't make the customer experience transparent to them, then bad on us.

Steve