misunderstanding scale

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Sun Mar 23 22:42:16 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 10:31:57PM +0000, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 23/03/2014 21:02, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > Actually all you have stated in that printer vendors need to clean
> > up their act and not that one shouldn't expect to be able to expose
> > a printer to the world.  It isn't hard to do this correctly.
>
> perish the thought - and I look forward to the day that vendors write
> secure software which is impregnable to all vulnerabilities past and
> present.  When that happens, I'll cast away my default deny configurations
> and advise other people to do the same.
>
> Until then, though, I hope you understand why I suggest that default deny
> is no less sensible a precaution than locking the front door in a busy city.
>
> Nick

	Hum.. perhaps a poor analogy.  Tokyo is a busy city, yet I know
	quite a few people who don;t lock their doors there. Redondo Beach
	is quite a bit less busy, but -everyone- locks their doors and anything
	else of value.

	Its the culture of ethics of the individiual, not the density of
	individuals.

/bill