misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Mar 23 18:35:48 UTC 2014

On (2014-03-23 20:09 +0200), Mark Tinka wrote:

> I expect this to change little in the enterprise space. I
> think use of ULA and NAT66 will be one of the things
> enterprises will push for, because how can a printer have a
> public IPv6 address that is reachable directly from the
> Internet, despite the fact that there is a properly
> configured firewall at the perimetre offering half-decent
> protection?

Or IT isn't buying the 'renumbering is easy' argument, for any non-trivial
size company even figuring how where exactly can be IP addresses punched out
statically would be expensive and long process.
If you are pushing for customer to use your PA in their LAN, I'm guessing
net-result is you should never reclaim those addresses after customer leaves,
since chances are, some customers won't renumber, but will 1:1 NAT your PA to
new operator PA, and your next customer with this block will complain about
reachability problems to this other customer.

But at least we can hope it'll be 1:1 NAT + ULA, which I would suggest to my
enterprise customers who won't want to get PI or become LIR.

--
  ++ytti