misunderstanding scale

Bryan Socha bryan at digitalocean.com
Sun Mar 23 18:27:11 UTC 2014

> First, there may be those that do not require IPv6 due to size. So what is
> YOUR big plan to connect all those on IPv4 to the rest of the IPv6 world
> that has dropped IPv4 addresses.

We'll be offering v6 standard really soon.   It's growth that got in the
way both from employee bandwidth and overrunning the point where certain
routers couldn't handle doing more than v4 anymore.    Both have been
sorted out and we're very close, only 1 obscure junos bug we're vetting the
impact.   Once it's repaired or worked around we'll be launching the public
beta.

> Second, as a DO customer, I am now beginning to understand the culture and
> ideology over IPv6 at DO. IPv6 has been asked about since at least 2012
> with initial promises of 'Q3 2012 the 'Q4, now no one even wants to
> respond. With everyone else bringing native IPv6 on board, I see people
> starting to leave unless you change.

You'll be very surprised at how much care, effort and loss of sleep has
gone into it.

> Additional support on my feeling of DO and IPv6, is DO's stance of
> directly not even allowing IPv6 tunnels to HE, SiXXs, or any of the other
> providers by specifically teliing them not to allow connections from your
> IPv4 address space.

There is tens of thousands of active tunnels to us right now and I have no
clue what your referring to here.   If you have more information on someone
not allowed to run a tunnel to us, please get that information to me
asap.    Some datacenters are directly peered to HE to get better tunnel
performance and we are exactly the opposite of your statement.

 Bryan