misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Mar 23 18:09:46 UTC 2014

On Sunday, March 23, 2014 06:57:26 PM Mark Andrews wrote:

> ISP's have done a good job of brain washing their
> customers into thinking that they shouldn't be able to
> run services from home. That all their machines
> shouldn't have a globally unique address that is
> theoritically reachable from everywhere.  That NAT is
> normal and desiriable.
>
> I was at work last week and because I have IPv6 at both
> ends I could just log into the machines at home as
> easily as if I was there. When I'm stuck using a IPv4
> only service on the road I have to jump through lots of
> hoops to reach the internal machines.

I expect this to change little in the enterprise space. I
think use of ULA and NAT66 will be one of the things
enterprises will push for, because how can a printer have a
public IPv6 address that is reachable directly from the
Internet, despite the fact that there is a properly
configured firewall at the perimetre offering half-decent
protection?

Mark.