misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Mar 23 16:57:26 UTC 2014

In message <20140323051037.94159.qmail at joyce.lan>, "John Levine" writes:
> >> It will be a long time
> >> before the price of v4 rises high enough to make it
> >> worth the risk of going v6 only.
> >
> >New ISP's are born everyday.
> >
> >Some of them will be able to have a "Buy an ISP that has
> >IPv4" or "Buy IPv4 space from known brokers" line item in
> >their budget as part of their launch plans.
> >
> >Most won't.
>
> In Africa, I suppose, but here in North America, the few remaining
> ISPs that aren't part of giant cable or phone companies are hanging on
> by their teeth.
>
> Also, although it is fashionable to say how awful CGN is, the users
> don't seem to mind it at all.

Basically because none of them have ever been on the Internet proper
where they can connect to their home machines from wherever they
are in the world directly.  If you don't know what it should be
like you don't complain when you are not getting it.

ISP's have done a good job of brain washing their customers into
thinking that they shouldn't be able to run services from home.
That all their machines shouldn't have a globally unique address
that is theoritically reachable from everywhere.  That NAT is normal
and desiriable.

I was at work last week and because I have IPv6 at both ends I could
just log into the machines at home as easily as if I was there.
When I'm stuck using a IPv4 only service on the road I have to jump
through lots of hoops to reach the internal machines.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org