misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Mar 22 19:57:04 UTC 2014

>In such a case, where you are still pushing the case for
>IPv4, how do you envisage things will look on your side when
>everybody else you want to talk to is either on IPv6, or
>frantically getting it turned up? Do you reckon anyone will
>have time to help you troubleshoot patchy (for example) IPv4
>connectivity when all the focus is on IPv6?

I've put that concern on my calendar for sometime around 2025.

People have been saying switch to IPv6 now Now NOW for about a decade,
and you can only cry wolf so many times.  My servers do IPv6 through a
tunnel from HE (thanks!) where the performance is only somewhat worse
than the native v4, and my home cable has v6 that mostly works, but
the key term there is mostly.  (The ISP had a fairly bad internal
routing bug which apparently nobody noticed until I tracked down why
my v6 connectivity was flaky, and I happened to know some senior
people at the ISP who could understand what I was telling them about
their internal routers.)

We've just barely started to move from the era of free IPv4 to the one
where you have to buy it, and from everyhing I see, there is vast
amounts of space that will be available once people realize they can
get real money for it.  The prices cited a couple of messages back
seem to be in the ballpark.  It will be a long time before the price
of v4 rises high enough to make it worth the risk of going v6 only.

R's,
John