misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sat Mar 22 14:33:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014, Bryan Socha wrote:

> Oh btw, how many ipv4s are you hording with zero justification to keep
> them?       I was unpopular during apricot for not liking the idea of no
> liability leasing of v4.     I don't like this artificial v4 situation
> every eyeball network created.    Why is v4 a commodity and asset?   Where
> is the audits.    I can justify my 6 /14s, can you still?

That ship sailed a long time time ago.  Can some IPv4 space be recovered
by 'auditing' consumers of IPv4?  Possibly.  Does the amount of space that
would be recovered justify the effort (economic, administrative, legal,
technical)?  No.  IPv6 is the way to go.

All of these 'Hail Mary' options for 'saving' IPv4 really are pointless.

Don't forget that IPv4, in the form we know it, was never intended to go
into production.  It's a lab experiment that grew legs and got out of its
cage.

jms