misunderstanding scale

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat Mar 22 17:16:48 UTC 2014

On 22/03/2014 16:29, Doug Barton wrote:
> It is a mistake to believe that the only reason to add IPv6 to your network
> is size. Adding IPv6 to your network _now_ is the right decision because at
> some point in the not-too-distant future it will be the dominant network
> technology, and you don't want to get left behind.

not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but people have been claiming this
since the days of IPng.  Granted, we're a couple of years after IANA runout
and two RIRs are also in post-runout phase, but the level of pain
associated with continued deployment of ipv4-only services is still nowhere
near the point that ipv6 can be considered a viable alternative.

Nick