Ipv4 end, its fake.

Cb B cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 14:02:02 UTC 2014

On Mar 22, 2014 12:08 AM, "Bryan Socha" <bryan at digitalocean.com> wrote:

> As someone growing in the end of ipv4, its all fake.    Sure, the rirs
will
> run out, but that's boring.    Don't believe the fake auction sites.
> Fair price of IP at the end is $1 for bad Rep $2 for barely used, $3 for
no
> spam and $4 for legacy.    Stop the inflation.     Millions of IPS exist,
> there is no shortage and don't lie for rirs with IPS left.

That's cute that you think "millions" of ipv4 on the market solves anything
for someone who "growing"  end-points ... especially the VM business, you
can only sell as many VMs as you have IPv4. Your business is tightly
coupled to ipv4, so i  understand you *want* to believe.

You can pay $3 per ipv4, that is your business. But, it may be worth noting
that AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, T-Mobile, TWT, Google Fiber all have have
double digit ipv6 penetration today.

Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia and Facebook all have v6 today, and Facebook is
shifting to an ipv6-only data center

https://www.dropbox.com/s/doazzo5ygu3idna/WorldIPv6Congress-IPv6_LH%20v2.pdf

T-Mobile US is also close to 10% ipv6-only end-points a la rfc6877/464xlat
today

So, perhaps, what you are saying is, ipv4 address utility has peaked, the
price is coming down due to supply/demand forces (less people need ipv4, so
more are willing to sell, more sellers with less demand equals lower prices)

That said,  have a ball with that. I bet there is someone out there that is
buying x.25 switches for pennies on the dollar by the pallet.

But you may find that performance of ipv4-only service will struggle to get
through transition mechansism that are rationing and ipv4 ports ...after
all, google and facebook just work on v6, so your ipv4 quality issue may
not bubble up so quick.

CB