Level 3 blames Internet slowdowns on Technica

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Mar 21 20:40:53 UTC 2014

On Mar 21, 2014, at 12:22 PM, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:

>> On Mar 21, 2014, at 11:01 AM, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
>>> Why wouldn't you instead charge for the build out as a NRC and then =
>> charge=20
>>> for maintenance as a MRC?
>>
>> I for one would be willing to bear a high NRC start-up cost for someone =
>> building fiber to my home.  Not everyone would make that tradeoff.
>
> I was discussing the cost that the service provider had to pay in the
> context of a "$4/mo copper pair" for rental of a copper pair that the
> ILEC almost certainly did not need to install.  I do not see why the
> cost for build out needs to be included in the actual monthly cost an
> ILEC needs to charge.
>
> I think that utilities have a long history of proving that the cost
> for build out can be successfully charged to the property owner in
> several ways as you note.  I don't see it as being an insurmountable
> problem to find some way for an intermediate service provider to
> deal with this if needed.

Sure, but for POTS this installation NRC was regulated for residential (at least last time I ordered a POTS line for a home, which was ....)

The cost of the O&M on the switch and OSP is likely less than what I pay them.  The history was they were allowed to show costs and add on a margin and rate increases would be approved.  I don't want to know what their costs are after ice storms...

Here in Michigan there was a recent law passed to allow ending of service in areas starting January 2017.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28la3cxz45kfy2bs55wvsiqy55%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=2013-SB-0636

- Jared