Level 3 blames Internet slowdowns on Technica

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Mar 21 16:22:05 UTC 2014

> On Mar 21, 2014, at 11:01 AM, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
> > Why wouldn't you instead charge for the build out as a NRC and then =
> charge=20
> > for maintenance as a MRC?
>
> I for one would be willing to bear a high NRC start-up cost for someone =
> building fiber to my home.  Not everyone would make that tradeoff.

I was discussing the cost that the service provider had to pay in the
context of a "$4/mo copper pair" for rental of a copper pair that the
ILEC almost certainly did not need to install.  I do not see why the
cost for build out needs to be included in the actual monthly cost an
ILEC needs to charge.

I think that utilities have a long history of proving that the cost
for build out can be successfully charged to the property owner in
several ways as you note.  I don't see it as being an insurmountable
problem to find some way for an intermediate service provider to
deal with this if needed.

... JG