Re: Level 3 blames Internet slowdowns on ISPsâ EURO(tm) re fusal to upgrade networks | Ars Technica

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Mar 21 02:51:07 UTC 2014

The only way we will ever see real and true competition is if we prohibit Layer 2+ providers from playing in the Layer 1 space.

At some point, we will need to recognize that for the population densities in the vast majority of the united States (including most urban areas), Layer 1 is effectively a natural monopoly and you will rarely get more than one provider installing any given media type. An independent layer 1 provider required to provide equal access to all competing layer 2+ providers in each are would drive increased competition in L2+ services.

Owen