Level 3 blames Internet slowdowns on ISPs’ refusal to upgrade networks | Ars Technica

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Mar 20 12:39:59 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 09:06:47 PM Patrick W. Gilmore
wrote:

> The angle on my right shoulder wants to congratulate a
> "tier one" (whatever the F that means) provider for
> finally admitting, in writing, in public, from a lawyer,
> what the rest of us have known for decades.

Every time the market has troubled the status quo, networks
have failed to find ways that adapt to that market. The
market ends up working around the network.

Napster and all the goodness that followed it, is one such
example; until iTunes adapted. And yes, iTunes is NOT the
network.

Now the OTT's are driving the network hard, and the network
des not want to adapt (perhaps calling in the FCC is
adapting... not).

So expect the market to work around this as well. The
network keeps getting left behind...

Mark.