L6-20P -> L6-30R

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Mar 20 03:00:05 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Seth Mattinen" <sethm at rollernet.us>

> On 3/19/14, 10:21, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> > It is exactly that: no one says you*can't* wire a 20A branch circuit
> > with #10.
> >
> > It is even*possible*, though unlikely, that if you did so, you wouldn't
> > have to derate it to 80%. I would have to reread the Code to be sure.
>
> Well, I'd say it's pretty likely. However highly unlikely to be
> code-worthy of slapping on a 30A breaker in place of a 20.

Well, the situation were were discussing was replacing

30A CB <--> 10 AWG <--> L6-30

with

20A CB <--> 10 AWG <--> L6-20

and as I was reminded, you'd still have to derate that unless the
CB was magnetic.  And you can't leave the breaker at 30, cause then the
attached 20A single device isn't protected properly by it.

So I was worng on the derating.

Cheers,
-- jra