L6-20P -> L6-30R

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Wed Mar 19 22:58:14 UTC 2014

On 3/19/2014 7:00 AM, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
>>> Go look at any standard household lamp. It has a 5-15P on the end of
>>> it, which could be plugged into an outlet rated for 20 amps (5-20R),
>>> with 16 gauge lamp cord rated for 10 amps or less.
>>
>> Mine all seem to be NEMA 1-15P, some (most?) with 18 AWG wire.
>>
>> Have I been shortchanged?  :)
>
> I wrote that too fast, you are absolutely right.
>
> But my point remains. Appliance/load wire size is often, and many times smaller than the ampacity of the circuit.
>
> Heck, how many times have you plugged in a 14 gauge extension cord to a 5-20R?

I believe the thinking behind the standards is that the breaker is sized
to protect the wiring to the receptacle or fixture.  After that you are
on your own.

It is always safe to demand less current than the circuit is designed to
provide.

It is never save to deform connectors.

Changing a receptacle to one of a lower capacity is safe, if confusing
to those who follow you.  If I operated a facility I would offer short
adapters cords rather that changing the receptacle.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: