L6-20P -> L6-30R

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Mar 19 18:30:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 02:05:42PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
>> 50 watts DC. It won't electrocute you (that's AC) but it's the same
>> power that makes a 40 watt bulb burning hot.
>
> I don't know where you are getting your facts, but 802.3af maxes out
> at 15.4W and 802.3at at 34.2W, and DC can electrocute you just as well
> as AC.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet#Standard_implementation

Hi Chuck,

Same article where you got your facts: "Up to a theoretical 51 watts
is available for a device." Though technically it's newer PoE
standards than AF which hit 51 watts.

Electrocution is a heart attack induced when alternating current
disrupts the heart's normal sinus rhythm. DC can burn you but it won't
disrupt your heart rhythm, hence it won't electrocute you. That was
the basis Edison's theater with the electric chair when he argued
against the safety of Tesla's AC current.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004