L6-20P -> L6-30R

Alex Rubenstein alex at corp.nac.net
Tue Mar 18 23:19:02 UTC 2014

Strictly speaking, no, you cannot do this. The diameter of the pattern of the pins are different 20 to 30 amps.

If no electrical inspectors are looking, yes, you can bend the pins and "make it work." I've done it, others have done it, but you shouldn't do it and it is a clear electrical code violation.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot, but the right end, and stick it on there. You do still have the issue where the wire size is wrong, but if you have a brain and don't overload it, you will be OK. But, this too is still a clear electrical code violation.