L6-20P -> L6-30R

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Mar 18 20:03:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014, Randy wrote:

> I have a situation where a 208v/20A PDU (L6-20P) is supposedly hooked to a
> 208v/30A circuit (L6-30R).   Before I order the correct PDU's and whip
> cords...sanity check...are connectors 'similar' enough that this is possible
> (with force) or am I going to find we've actually got L6-20R's on the
> provider side?

Generally, all common electrical plugs and receptacles (straight-blade,
twist-lock, IEC, and CEE) are physically sized and keyed differently, so
that they can't be connected together, to keep people from connecting
loads that require a specific voltage/current to supplies that aren't
intended to provide it.

While it's not uncommon for someone to replace a plug with "the right
kind", this can (in order of badness):

1. start a fire
2. short out and (hopefully) trip a breaker - that's what breakers are for!
3. violate building/electrical codes
4. void your device's warranty

As others have mentioned, just "making it work", rather than making it
work correctly, can be bad news.

People often fancy themselves unlicensed/uncertified electricians.  I've
seen some of the handiwork from such people, and while their creativity is
impressive, having to rip their stuff out and re-do it is not fun.

jms