L6-20P -> L6-30R

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Tue Mar 18 23:09:49 UTC 2014

I've had to do that before; provider gave me a 208v/30a circuit and I
already had a power strip I wanted to re-use that had a corded L6-20P
connector on it.  I purchased a L6-30P plug / L6-20R receptacle adapter
from http://www.stayonline.com/nema-locking-6-30-amp-adapters.aspx
They're only $25 and they ship overnight if needed.  They have one foot
cabled versions of the same thing too if you have tight working space
and there's not enough room for both connectors back to back; works as a
strain relief too so maybe that option is better regardless.

If you're trying to go the other direction, plugging an L6-30P into an
L6-20R 20 amp circuit, that I'd recommend against because it never fails
that someone says hey, 30 amp power strip, let me plug some more stuff
into it not realizing it's on a 20 amp breakered circuit, then all your
stuff goes down while you try to find the facility staff to reset the
breaker.

David