US to relinquish control of Internet

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 05:47:21 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>On the other hand, I am very concerned about what they would do to the
>numbers side of things..

Just keep their grubby paws off the IETF and the internet standards
process.....   I doubt there's much reason for concern.   IPv4 is pretty
much already spoken for,  and probably even they could not screw up IPv6
 allocation.     It's not as if they would be free to invent crazy new
numbering schemes.

I'm not too worried about what they could do to TLDs... It would be hard to
> make a bigger mess than ICANN already has.

What comes to mind is   scrapping WHOIS due to "privacy concerns",  and
replacing it with a filing with a private national authority for the TLD,
accessible primarily to law enforcement  (and not incident
responders/operators/infosec/anti-spam people).

How TLDs  COULD be screwed up worse than ICANN......

introducing "regional TLDs",  for coded regions (similar to DVD region
locking),  and region-locking existing TLDs --- Or certain agreements and
fees will be required for an ISP to "subscribe" to a certain TLD,
including  agreement to pay  kickbacks for "Data transfer"  and termination
fees related to DNS queries and site access,  according to  rate schedules
 that  the receiving country will be free to set, however exorbitantly they
like ----  to the benefit of   certain countries desiring to limit access
or charge access fees for subscription to out-of-region DNS content;  and
splitting the root zone,  so that domains registered in a certain region
 cannot be resolved in other regions,

--
-Mysid