new DNS forwarder vulnerability

Paul Ferguson fergdawgster at mykolab.com
Sat Mar 15 16:36:20 UTC 2014

That's a good question, but I know that during the ongoing survey
within the Open Resolver Project [http://openresolverproject.org/],
Jared found thousands of CPE devices which responded as resolvers.

Further work needs to go into fingerprinting these devices to
determine the vendor, version, etc., but it is disturbing to see such
brokenness. :-/

- - ferg

On 3/15/2014 9:26 AM, Gary Baribault wrote:

> Why would a CPE have an open DNS resolver from the WAN side?
>
> Gary Baribault
>
> On 03/14/2014 12:45 PM, Livingood, Jason wrote:
>> Well, at least all this CPE checks in for security updates every
>> night so this should be fixable. Oh wait, no, nevermind, they
>> don't. :-(
>>

>> This is getting to be the vulnerability of the week club for home
>> gateway devices - quite concerning.
>>
>> JL
>>
>> On 3/14/14, 12:05 PM, "Merike Kaeo"
>> <merike at doubleshotsecurity.com> wrote:

>>> It is my understanding  that many CPEs work off of same
>>> reference implementation(s).  I haven't had any cycles for this
>>> but with all the CPE issues out there it would be interesting
>>> to have a matrix of which CPEs utilize which reference
>>> implementation.  That may start giving some clues.
>>>
>>> Has someone / is someone doing this?
>>>
>>> - merike

- --
Paul Ferguson