new DNS forwarder vulnerability

Laszlo Hanyecz laszlo at heliacal.net
Sat Mar 15 16:36:09 UTC 2014

Good question, but the reality is that a lot of them are this way.  They just forward everything from any source.  Maybe it was designed that way to support DDoS as a use case.

Imagine a simple iptables rule like -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 4.2.2.4
I think some forwarders work this way - the LAN addresses can be reconfigured and so it's probably easier if the rule doesn't check the source address.. or maybe it was designed to work this way on purpose, because it's easy to explain as a 'bug' or oversight, rather than deliberate action.  Of course, it's crazy to think that some person or organization deliberately did this so they would have a practically unlimited amount of DoS sources.

-Laszlo