new DNS forwarder vulnerability

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sat Mar 15 12:36:34 UTC 2014

> Why would a CPE have an open DNS resolver from the WAN side?

Honest to god, are you new to computers or something?

People have been writing "just good enough" code since the beginning.

A resolver package binds to *:53 by default.  Some poor firmware guys
with no security experience, deadlines, and too few bytes for code
storage don't notice or don't know or don't care and install the
resolver feature on the firmware that they're designing, then promptly
never think about it again "because that feature works and is therefore
done."

... JG