US to relinquish control of Internet

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Mar 15 03:13:23 UTC 2014

>> I look forward to the ITU equitably allocating domain names and IP
>> addresses.

> "NTIA will not accept a proposal that replaces the NTIA role with a
> government or an inter-governmental organization solution."

Let's hope you're right, but I note that the ITU isn't an
inter-governmental organization, it's (depending on which part of their
web site you believe) a specialized agency of the United Nations, or an
organization based on public-private partnership since its inception, with
a membership of 193 countries and over 700 private-sector entities and
academic institutions.  Sounds totally multistakeholder to me.

Unhelpfully,
John

PS: And the ITU is definitely not a solution.