How to catch a cracker in the US?

shawn wilson ag4ve.us at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 04:14:00 UTC 2014

On Mar 13, 2014 7:37 PM, "Larry Sheldon" <LarrySheldon at cox.net> wrote:

> On 3/13/2014 8:22 AM, Sholes, Joshua wrote:
>>
>> On 3/13/14, 12:35 AM, "shawn wilson" <ag4ve.us at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A note on terminology - whether you know what you're doing, actually
break
>>> into a system, or obtain a thumb drive with data that you weren't
supposed
>>> to have - it has the same end so I'd refer to it by the same term -
>>> hacking. Trying to differentiate terms based on skill, target, or data
>>> type is kinda dumb.
>>

>> If one came up in this field with a mentor who was old school, or if one
>> is old school oneself, one tends use the original (as I understand it)
>> definitions--a "cracker" breaks security or obtains data unlawfully, a
>> "hacker" is someone who likes ethically playing (in the "joyful
>> exploration" sense) with complicated systems.
>>
>> People who are culturally younger tend use "hacker", as you are doing,
for
>> the former and as far as I can tell no specific term for the latter.
>>
>> If you ask me, this is something of a cultural loss.
>

> Not sure I can agree with that.  I have been in this game for a very long
time, but for most of it in places where the world's population cleaved
neatly into two parts: "Authorized Users" who could be identified by the
facts that they had ID cards, Badges, and knew the door code; and
"trespassers" who were all others.

> Then you new kids came along and (pointlessly, in my opinion) divided the
later group into the two described above.

Sorry for my note. Didn't mean it to sidetrack the question (I probably
should've).

/me o_O