How to catch a cracker in the US?

Joe Loiacono jloiacon at csc.com
Thu Mar 13 19:29:14 UTC 2014

Another use of 'hacking' has been around in software for awhile ...

Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: Re: Who is Just another Perl hacker?
From: merlyn at stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)

Juho> But when do I become Just another Perl hacker? Who are they? I've
read
Juho> the FAQ, but it doesn't answer my question. If I replace my email
Juho> signature with JAPH, do I break some kind of law?
Juho> Or is Just another Perl Hacker a person who just hacks Perl?

Well, this ol' JAPH thing started back in 88-ish when I was posting to
a bunch of different newsgroups, and would sign each message somewhat
individualized above the "-- " cut.  For a while, it was stuff like: