How to catch a cracker in the US?

Sholes, Joshua Joshua_Sholes at cable.comcast.com
Thu Mar 13 18:46:58 UTC 2014

On 3/13/14, 1:23 PM, "Barry Shein" <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:

>A lot of us vowed to try to keep the "hackers" vs "crackers"
>distinction alive in the public's mind but I can't say it worked.

Yeah, that battle had already been lost by the time I entered the field
(even though I tried to fight it for a while anyway.)

>Having lost that battle I guess the term "Makers" is used today.

I will note that "hackerspace" seems to be somewhat more common parlance
than "makerspace" in the circles I operate in as a description of "area
where a bunch of people in various disciplines go to create things in a
shared environment", so that's some reclamation of what I would consider
the original meaning of "hacker".

--
Josh