How to catch a cracker in the US?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Mar 12 19:48:07 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Warren Bailey
<wbailey at satelliteintelligencegroup.com> wrote:
> Being caucasian myself, I am inherently aware of the terminology
> "cracker". How a joke relating to catching crackers with "cheese" was
> translated into a racial slur is completely beyond my comprehension.

Hi Warren,

Were you not aware that in the U.S., every statement you could
possibly make as well as no statement at all is racist, sexist or in
some other way impugns anyone wishing to take offense?

The retort, "That's racist!" is made tongue in cheek. Similar to
Freud's phallic symbols, it's offered in response to the use of any
word or phrase which has the slightest connection in any context to
racism. Which is most of them.

If I said, "The snow is falling, covering the dirty city in a layer of
pristine white," it would be perfectly normal for someone to jokingly
return, "That's racist!" By describing the *city* as *dirty* and then
changed not just to *white* but *pristine* white I practically begged
for it.

When someone says something that actually is racist, we have a whole
different vocabulary for expressing disgust.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004