How to catch a cracker in the US?

Andrew D Kirch trelane at trelane.net
Wed Mar 12 16:37:55 UTC 2014

Hi,

I found that finding them on IRC, or wherever it is that they
congregate, and simply talking to them until they incriminate themselves
tends to work best.  I also found that firewalls, IDS, security audits,
antivirus, antimalware etc work almost not at all.  The reason for this
is pretty simple.  Cybercrime is not a technical problem and does not
have a technical solution.  The solution is just like any other criminal
act, find them, get them to confess, and then put a real world face and
location to the IRC persona.  Easy.

Andrew